29 October, 2012

National piste des jeunes 2012

The national piste des jeunes is the called the 4 days de Grenoble. It's the race I won last year which crowned me champion of France!  
It started on Wednesday the 24th of October and finished on the 27th. I only raced on the last two days. The friday and the saturday. There were only two different kinds of races. A points race and a scratch.
The 1st  race was a 60 lap points race with sprints every 10 laps. It started fast and gradually got faster and then finished amazingly fast. I scored points in every sprint but 2 other racers got a lap. I was pleased with my race because I came 3rd and it showed that I had a real chance of getting a good result from the competition. 
Only 10min to recover and then ...the next race. 
Scratch. 8 laps of 250m = 2km. 
It started very fast. 4 people got away. I took the front of my group to try and bring the leaders back with 5 laps to go. I caught them up with 3 laps to go. I looked behind and all of my group was just sitting on my wheel. 2 laps to go. Another racer attacked I managed to get on his wheel. A group of 4 flew past and I chased them and caught them! 
With 1 last lap to go I decided to kill myself! So I lit the fuse!!
I overtook 2 of them easily. And before the end of the last corner I snuck in front of the 2nd guy. Sadly I just couldn't get past the last one. 
I was happy with my race and it was the end of the first night. I was in 2nd place. 

The 2nd and last night. There was a 70 lap points race first with sprints every 10 laps. It was one of the hardest points races I have ever done in my life!!!! But when I got off my bike at the end I knew I had done my best and deserved my result I got which was 3rd. My main goal in this race had been to make sure that no one got a lap on me to score bonus points. I managed to prevent any attacker getting a lap and still got points in every sprint except for one. I beat the person who was winning the general so I moved up into 1st place with just one race to go.

Last race. The 8 lap scratch. Everybody was fighting for my wheel. It was just a flat out sprint all the way to the line. Attack after attack. Unfortunately I couldn't help but get pushed on to the front with just over a lap to go. Despite giving it absolutely everything 2 guys just pipped me on the line. So I lost the race and the title too. I was devastated and cried at the end until I realised that I became vice champion of France in first year u16 and still have another opportunity next year.




2 comments: