21 October, 2012

Hitting the track


The last 6 weeks has been all about the track. My goal has been to get to Grenoble for the National Piste des Jeunes and I knew I had to get my speed and cadence up. I’ve done several track races and my first official meets too.
But first I had to qualify for Grenoble. About 37 cadets assembled at the Palais des Sports on the first weekend of September to get one of the 9 qualifying places. It’s just a scratch race and a points race but I managed to qualify in 6th place overall and I am the only 1st year u16 to qualify so I am extremely pleased and have been training very hard to improve my level since then.
I did the 2 days of Eybens which was on the tricky and bumpy outside track – and the weather was poor too. But I finished 2nd in every u16 race so i was pretty happy. And overall the team got 3rd. 
Despite having a bad cold for a few days and missing a big race in Lyon I think I’m in good shape and ready for next weekend.
My sprint is way faster now than 2 months ago and dad tells me that the high miles I did during the summer are now paying off.
The highlight of the last few weeks was the 3 days of Aigle. My 1st “pro” event which included individual races and a Madison competition. My partner Anthony and I came 3rd and 4th in the individual overall but our lack of experience and practice showed and we came 5th – out of 11 teams – overall in the Madison. But to be fair, we did get a very good 3rd in the Madison on the last night. And in the last sprint Anthony gave me the relay and I flew round to win the last sprint. Thanks to that, the French national team coach came to see us and chay.
In one week I have the 4 days of Grenoble which I won last year!  But I am ready and on form for it. 
Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Yep, you got better and better during the 3 days of Aigle, and you have improved enormously over the last 2 months! Good post! Nice pics, who took them?

    ReplyDelete