18 March, 2013

1st Road Race of 2013


Well if you saw the Milan - San Remo race it was a bit like that. I was massively nervous before, anyway as it was my 1st race of the year and my 1st proper open road race on quite a tricky course with 2 serious climbs and a 70km/h descent. Plus all the good guys were racing, some I know but most would be new to me. I decided to mark a couple of the best riders as well as possible for the 1st half and then just see how I felt after that. Dad and I drove the course in the morning and the weather was bad – I wasn’t sure what to wear or which wheels to use. Just before the race the heavens really opened and the temperature dropped to 2 degrees. At the start line we were held for about 10 minutes whilst they secured the course, by which time we were all soaked and freezing – and we hadn’t even started yet!
The 1st 3km through the town was neutralised but as soon as we hit the “depart real” the race ignited. Attacks went off continuously and I found myself fighting to stay near the front and to stay upright. There were lots of crashes, but nothing too serious thankfully. There were 2 roundabouts close together after 12k and I wanted to be right at the front to stay safe and in contention when we got there, which I was – about 4th I think.
Eventually 3 guys managed to stay clear and they gradually built up quite a good lead with me near the front of a chasing group of around 20. We were going very hard 1 minute then quite gently the next – I tried a couple of attacking groups but couldn’t get away. But on the 2nd climb a small group attacked and I went with them, and with 3kn to the summit I launched my own bit to get clear  -  and I absolutely flew away from them. In 3km I got about a 500m gap and then I took a few risks on the very fast descent. It would be great in the dry but the surface was very slippery. Down to the flat and I realised I could catch the leaders. I caught them, and passed them with 4km to go. They got onto my wheel and I decided I had to push on as the peloton wasn’t that far behind. With 2km to go there was a group of 3 and me working together on the uphill back into the town. The last 500m was very steep and my legs just turned to jelly as I had pushed so much, but I was very happy to get 3rd in such an important race. I know I have the level, and with the road season just starting I’ll only get better. Actually I felt pretty strong, and despite the cold I kept to the plan and stayed safe too.

No comments:

Post a Comment