02 November, 2011

National Piste des Jeunes 2011 - Champion

Since qualifying in early September my mind, and my training, has been focused on the 6 jours de Grenoble. I’m actually glad I didn’t know how big the event would be otherwise I wouldn’t have slept at all. After the Annecy road race – which I won – the season finished with 3 cyclocross races which I really enjoyed despite having to finish two of them on foot thanks to punctures on one of them I had to do 1 whole lap on foot because of a front tyre puncture. I didn’t win any of them but fortunately scored enough points to win the 2011 Challenge Cup which is for the best placed rider over the whole season. It was a great day by the lake in Passy with the Mont Blanc in the background and not a cloud in the sky. By the end of September the velodrome in Geneva had reopened so dad and I went as often as possible to train. I also spent loads of time on my turbo trainer trying to get my legs revving as much as possible. My flying lap time is now 11.06, compared to 16.55 secs or something a year ago.
I got my school report last week which wasn’t as good as thought it would be as I have tried to work hard but I guess maybe my school work has suffered a bit. But we’ll see the principal tomorrow and he should be pretty impressed. They’ve never had a champion at school before.
Anyway the 6 days started on Thursday and I was racing on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. Because I qualified in 1st place I had number 21 and started at the back for the 1st race. There were lots of spectators and the noise was something else. I got a good cheer when I was presented which I thought was surprising. The other boys came from all over France but my main competitor was Anthony Girollet from Pontcharra near Grenoble so he got a huge cheer. The points race started so well. I won the 1st sprint with ease then I came 2nd in the 2nd sprint. But in the last sprint I just was too overconfident and messed it up by going for the win too early and ended up coming 5th. 
By the 3rd night all the family was a bit tired. It’s 2 hours drive each way and we weren’t getting home until midnight. I knew I still had a chance and decided that I would keep attacking and try to wear out the others. Dad always says my biggest strength is my ability to recover quickly and go again so at least I would go down fighting. I listened to Eminem’s track with the line 1 chance 1 opportunity. ( lose yourself )
At the start I saw a friend near the start line and spoke to him and that let me start at the back which is risky but suited my tactics. What I wanted to do is go 3 laps in, Dad and I had a good talk about it. But if that didn’t work I would try and come 5th in the 1st sprint and attack from behind. I did exactly that but Anthony was just behind so when he attacked after the first sprint that suited me a lot so I just jumped on his wheel and we got a lap with two other good guys. As soon as we got back to the back of the pack all I had to do is beat the three other guys that were with me. The only person that I was worried about was Anthony. The 2nd and 4th sprint I won them both and then the 3rd and 5th sprint I was in front of all three guys. So as soon as I crossed that finish line I knew I won the race.  As soon as I got off my bike one of the managers came other to me and congratulated me for winning the race. Then I asked him if I had won the overall title and he said YES I HAD WON THE TITLE!!!!!! I was in shock!! It was one of the most amazing feelings I have ever had. Soon afterwards, a newspaper reporter came and talked to me. I got on my rollers and this guy just started asking questions and I was answering them like if it was a test! It was very funny. Finally I called dad and told him I won the overall and he just didn’t believe me!!
So that just means I am the national piste des jeunes champion of 2011!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment