29 June, 2011

June 2011.

This is the end of June and I am winning the classement general by 42 points. Which I think is pretty good. There are 5 more races that count for the season so I have a chance at winning the GC Challenge.

The 1st race in june was at Abondance. I wasn’t too confident about doing well in the cyclocross as I’ve only done 1 race before on a cyclocross bike, the others I rode a mountain bike. However, I had a very timid start but gradually gained more and more confidence throughout the race. I fell off twice in the really muddy and slippy conditions but overtook several people in front of me and got a very good second place in the end. Straight after that there was a hill climb of 2 km, which wasn’t too steep but was a good climbing test. We all started together and by the first bend a guy called Baptiste attacked and then only 10 of us were remaining. Nothing happened until Franks dad yelled “200 meters to the line!!!!!!!!” And I just accelerated, one other guy got on to my wheel so I relayed and then attacked again from behind. I crossed the line with 10 meters to spare and both arms high up in the air.

The Ville la Grand race on the 10th didn’t go as planned. I really wanted to win this one because my girlfriend was watching. But when I woke in the morning I didn’t feel 100%. Then during my race I felt so bad that my tactics went out the window. It was a race I should have won but at the end I started my sprint too early because the person in front of me just died badly and I was forced to sprint and two guys just pipped me to the line.

The final race in june was at Seyssel, which is a very pretty town next to the Rhone. The circuit was very short around the town centre with 3 very fast and tight corners. I got a perfect start and settled into a good position. I was determined to be patient and guard against attacks. The pace was very fast and by ¼ distance (9 laps) I realized that there were a lot of people left in the peloton. So I decided to attack into the next corner. I made my way to the back and attacked through the peloton and went through the corner as fast as I dared. I felt my bike slide sideways but fortunately I did not fall. I continued my attack, and after a minute or so I looked behind to see the only rider who dared face me was Arnaud MAULINI. We kept a very high pace for a couple of laps. Then I saw my dad and shouted “How many seconds have we got ahead of the others”; and he replied “They’re 100 meters in front!!!” So me and Arnaud quickly caught them up, and he said “ Shall we stay with them or go past”; and I replied “We’ll stay with them.” I saw the look of determination go out of his eyes and I attacked the peloton once again. Looked behind me and saw Remi MEROTTO. I did a quick relay and attacked him with 3 laps to go. Finally 200 meters to the finish line and I looked behind and saw no one. I put my hands in the air and finished in style, having lapped the whole field except Arnaud.

Wish me luck for Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment